Avocado is called superfood due to its high nutritional value.
The health benefits of avocado have gained a lot of popularity in recent years. Avocado is considered a superfood as it highly nutritious and provides a ton of health benefits. Aside from this, avocado is a tasty food item that can be consumed as part of the main course or as a nutrition form of dessert. Some may even claim that avocado is a miracle fruit as it is rich in carbohydrates and has a ton of healthy fats.
Avocado Health Benefits
- Avocado Health Benefits
- 1. Avocado packs a lot of nutrients
- 2. Avocado contains higher levels of potassium compared to bananas
- 3. Avocado is filled with monounsaturated fatty acids that is good for the heart
- 4. Avocados are rich in fiber
- 5. Avocados can reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- 6. Avocados can improve overall health and wellness for those individuals who consume them more
- 7. Avocados have plant content that may help absorb healthy fats
- 8. Avocados can aid in protecting your eyes
- 9. Avocados can help cancer patients
- 10. Avocados can help reduce the symptoms of arthritis
- 11. Avocados can help you lose weight
- 12. Avocados are easy to incorporate to one’s healthy eating and diet plan
- 13. Avocados can help care for your liver
- 14. Avocados can greatly improve kidney health
- 15. Avocados can give you glowing skin
As stated earlier, avocado is a miracle food and a superfood because of its nutritional content and various other health benefits. Below are some of the said health benefits of this rather unique and yummy fruit:
1. Avocado packs a lot of nutrients
Avocado isn’t called a superfood for nothing. It has numerous nutrients with various health benefits to the human body. There are various types of avocado and the most popular one is Hass avocado. A serving of 100 grams contains a number of vital nutrients such as Vitamin K, Folate, Vitamin C, Potassium, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, phosphorus and vitamins A, B1 (thiamine),. B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (Niacin). All these nutrients all come in a measly 160 calories making avocado a superfood that is low carb.
2. Avocado contains higher levels of potassium compared to bananas
A 100 gram serving of avocados provides 14% of the daily potassium needs of the body compared to bananas which only provide 10% of the daily recommended amount. Potassium is a very important nutrient for the body as it helps maintain healthy bodily fluids and cardiovascular function. It also helps reduce blood pressure, helps protect against strokes, wards off the development of kidney stones, helps prevent osteoporosis and reduces the body’s water retention.
3. Avocado is filled with monounsaturated fatty acids that is good for the heart
Avocado is one of the fattiest plants known and 77% of its calories actually come fat. The fats in avocado, however, are healthy kinds of monounsaturated fat such as oleic acid. Oleic acid is one of the main components of olive oil and aids in reducing inflammation and helps in preventing cancer. Avocado oil is also highly resistant to heat and as such, is a great and healthy choice for cooking.
4. Avocados are rich in fiber
Avocados contain a significant amount of fiber and these indigestible plant matter is what helps improve the body’s overall health in terms of digestion, metabolism, and management of blood sugar. Regularly consuming fiber is also directly related to weight loss and management of hypertension.
5. Avocados can reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels
Avocados can help the body in fighting heart disease usually caused by dangerous levels of cholesterol and triglycerides. This superfood can specifically lower the factors contributing to heart diseases such as cholesterol, triglycerides, inflammatory markers and blood pressure.
6. Avocados can improve overall health and wellness for those individuals who consume them more
Due to the immense nutritional value it offers, those who consume more avocados are found to have a higher intake of essential nutrients and vitamins.
7. Avocados have plant content that may help absorb healthy fats
Avocado oil has been shown to help in the absorption of antioxidants found in various plant based food items. This means that avocado not only directly helps in providing the much needed nutrients of the body but also helps in improving the body’s capacity to absorb the aforementioned nutrients.
8. Avocados can aid in protecting your eyes
Our eyes play a primary role in our lives as it helps us see, appreciate and navigate the world around us. With avocados, the eyes can be protected through the provision of carotenoid lutein and zeaxanthin. Avocados can also help in reducing the risk of developing cataracts, macular degeneration and other eye illnesses.
9. Avocados can help cancer patients
While there are no direct links yet as to how avocados can help against cancer itself, there is evidence to suggest that avocados can help reduce the side effects of chemotherapy, a well known and effective treatment against cancer. Chemotherapy, unfortunately, has side effects that patients can do without such as anxiety and depression, mouth sores, and diarrhea among others. Eating avocados can actually help cancer patients reduce the side effects of chemotherapy.
10. Avocados can help reduce the symptoms of arthritis
Avocado oil may also be considered effective against easing the symptoms of arthritis. Similar to soya oil, these oils can actually ease the symptoms brought about by osteoarthritis.
11. Avocados can help you lose weight
The numerous health benefits and nutrients found in avocado can synergistically help the body lose weight. Avocado fatty oils can give individuals that feeling of being full and as such, prevent further food cravings. Avocados are also high in fiber and low in carbohydrates making them the perfect fruit companion to those wishing to lose weight.
12. Avocados are easy to incorporate to one’s healthy eating and diet plan
Due to the delicious and tasty characteristics of avocado, it can easily be incorporated to one’s healthy eating and diet plan. Coupled with its filling qualities. Avocados can actually help you lose weight, stay healthy and enjoy the foods you love to eat without any health concerns or worries
13. Avocados can help care for your liver
Studies have shown that Avocados can actually help reduce liver damage and improve overall liver health.
14. Avocados can greatly improve kidney health
A well balanced diet can help in the improving kidney health. Balanced minerals and electrolytes contribute to the health of our kidneys and with various essential minerals and vitamins offered by avocados, the chances of improving kidney health is also magnified.
15. Avocados can give you glowing skin
Carotenoids found in Avocados can help individuals achieve a healthy glowing skin. They have also been shown to help reduce UV induced skin damage usually caused by the harmful rays of the sun.