Woodstock Town Square & Opera House for an Old Fashioned Holiday Season
The Town Square of Woodstock is surrounded by cobblestone streets and upscale boutiques, decorated in old fashioned Victorian style, offers Christmas entertainment.
Woodstock is a far northwest suburb of Chicago, Illinois, with a historic town square, perfect for a Victorian-style Christmas. The community, which holds special events all year long, is a wonderful place to visit during the Christmas season. The Woodstock Opera House is an anchor of the town square, which surrounds a park. The cobblestone streets from a square, along with boutique shops and a charming old fashioned ambiance. Santa and Mrs. Claus visit the Town Square Park and the Woodstock Opera House features holiday performances and concerts.
Victorian Christmas in Woodstock
The town square is decorated and the upscale boutique shops display holiday decorations and treasures for gifts. There are many holiday events on the town square, including the annual Lighting of the Square, the Christmas Parade, free horse-drawn carriage rides (on selected days), and holiday events at the Woodstock Opera House. Throughout the holiday season, there will be live entertainment and the Opera House Christmas Tree walk.
The lighting of the Square
On the day after Thanksgiving, Friday, November 28, the square will be illuminated with tens of thousands of lights on the trees in the park on the buildings on the square. The lighting itself takes place at 7:00 pm in the Park in the Square. Holiday activities take place all day long, including street musicians, holiday carolers, holiday sweets, carriage rides, and caroling. Santa and Mrs. Clause will be in the square to greet children and pose for pictures.
Santa arrives in Woodstock officially on Sunday, November 30. The Christmas Parade takes place in the Christmas Parade around the square.
Woodstock Opera House
Historic Woodstock Opera House features special holiday entertainment for the Christmas season, with performances of the Nutcracker Ballet, Magical Santa, A White Christmas and Ed Hall’s Guitar Night.
- A Christmas Carol is presented by Woodstock Musical Theatre Company. The classic Charles Dicken’s tale of Ebenezer Scrooge, Tiny Tim, and the spirits of Christmas past, present and future magically transports people to London in 1843. November 28, 39, 30, December 4, 5, 6, 7. $23.
- Magical Santa presented by Woodstock Opera House. Santa kicks off the holiday season in Woodstock with a special one day show on November 29 at 1 pm. Tickets Adult $6, Child $4.
- The Nutcracker Suite Ballet is presented by Judith Svalander Dance Theatre. Classic Christmas ballet about a young girl, a handsome prince, dancing toys and dreams. December 12-21. $22.
- A White Christmas presented by DeVar Creative is a nostalgic performance of holiday favorites inspired by the film White Christmas. December 17, $22.
- Four Strings Attached presented by Martin Lopez Academy is a festive Christmas concert with Christmas songs and hymns. December 22. $25.
- Ed Hall’s Woodstock Christmas Guitar Night December 23. $20.
Woodstock is about 60 miles northwest of the City of Chicago. Metra Trains offer transportation to Woodstock from Chicago and cities along the route.