There are a variety of bus and trolley tours to choose from, as well as bike, Segway, and walking tours that provide close-up experiences where you’ll learn about the unique Chicago neighborhoods and landmarks. Stay right at home and take a virtual tour or listen to an audio tour that will make you feel you are right here in Chicago.
Chicago offers lots of options for land tours. Listed below are some of the most popular Chicago bus, trolley, and elevated train tours offered. Some are free, most are reasonably priced.
Chicago Architecture Foundation
- Chicago Architecture Foundation
- Chicago Film Tour
- Chicago Hauntings Chicago Ghost Tours
- The Chicago Jazz Club Crawl-Jazz Tour
- Chicago Neighborhood Tours
- Chicago Supernatural Tours
- Chicago Tours by Pontarelli Companies
- Chicago Trolley & Double-Decker Tours
- Excursions Into the Unknown
- Foreign Language Tours of Chicago
- Ghost Tours of Naperville
- Gray Line Tours
- Loop Tour Train
- O’Leary’s Chicago Fire Truck Tours
- See it ALL Chicago Tours
- Tours R Us Chicago
- Untouchable Tours
- Windy City Film Tours
Take a bus tour offered by the Chicago Architecture Foundation and experience a specific theme of architecture, such as Chicago bungalows, churches, parks, Frank Lloyd Wright, and others. CAF’s website provides tour schedules, charges, and other booking information. Tickets may be purchased online or call 312.922.3432, ext. 240.
Chicago Film Tour
The tour route starts at the 600 block of N. Clark Street
phone: (312) 593-4455
Watch your favorite movies come to life with the Chicago Film Tour! A whimsical journey through Chicago’s many neighborhoods, the Chicago Film Tour shows passengers famous film locations over 30 miles of Chicago while enhancing their knowledge of the city’s vast film history. Visit the filming locations of movies such as “The Dark Knight,” “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” and “My Best Friend’s Wedding” while getting a fresh look at the city of Chicago. Whether you’re a Chicago native or just visiting, you’ll be sure to learn something you’ve never known before!
Chicago Hauntings Chicago Ghost Tours
Clark and Ohio Streets, Chicago
Acclaimed author and ghost hunter Ursula Bielski and others lead a two-and-a-half-hour bus tour of Chicago’s most actively haunted sites.
The Chicago Jazz Club Crawl-Jazz Tour
PO Box 336 Chicago Illinois 60690
This tour guide you on a trouble-free fun-filled night of quality Jazz Entertainment and Historical Enrichment. As we travel through Chicago by luxury bus, our tour will visit 3 Historic Jazz clubs per tour event.
Chicago Neighborhood Tours
Three types of Chicago Neighborhood Tours (Neighborhood, Special Interest & Summertime Samplers) presented by the Chicago Office of Tourism, a division of the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs. See Chicago Neighborhood Tours 2010 Brochure.
Chicago Supernatural Tours
Join Richard T. Crowe on a supernatural adventure. Tour choices include The Ghostly Gourmet, the NiteTime Edition, Supernatural Chinatown, the Haunted Pub Crawl, and the Gaslight Magic & Mayhem tour. For a unique experience, try the NiteTime Supernatural Cruise on the lakefront and river. Call 708-499-0300 for more information.
Chicago Tours by Pontarelli Companies
Chicago Tours, by Pontarelli Companies, offers a Chicago Garden Tour, World of Art Glass Tour, and a Chicago Highlights Tour. For information, call 312-226-5466 or 800-322-5466.
Chicago Trolley & Double-Decker Tours
Chicago’s premier Hop On Hop Off city sightseeing tours in classic Trolleys and fun-filled Double Deckers. Stops at 13 locations downtown.
Excursions Into the Unknown
See some of Chicagoland’s most haunted locations from the comfort and safety of a luxury motor coach with Chicago’s best and most informative ghost tour
Foreign Language Tours of Chicago
Chicago Tour Guides Institute is an office of many foreign languages speaking guides for walking tours, motorcoaches, limousines, museums, tradeshows. Rates vary in language. Our office has been providing tour guides in English and many other foreign languages for 18 years in the Chicago area. Whether it is one person or groups of two hundred. Call and ask for Michael Reis.
Ghost Tours of Naperville
36 S Washington Naperville IL 60540
phone: 630 205-2664
Naperville Il., is 40 miles west of Chicago and one of America’s most haunted cities.
Come join us on the pitch-dark streets of Haunted Naperville for 2 hours you won’t soon forget.
Gray Line Tours
Departs from Palmer House Hilton Hotel, 17 E. Monroe St. Choose from a wide variety of Chicago tours ranging from a few hours to a full day, with a full range of private charter and group services as well.
Loop Tour Train
Saturdays, May Through Sept.
Starts at the Chicago Cultural Center
Take a free 40-minute tour of Chicago’s business district where internationally renowned buildings reach the sky. Learn about the area’s 100-year history and the city’s elevated train system, known to Chicagoans as the L. The tour is guided by the Chicago Architecture Foundation docents. Admission for the tour is free on a first-come, first-serve basis.
O’Leary’s Chicago Fire Truck Tours
501 N. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611
Tours depart from near the Intercontinental Hotel
Admission: adults $20; children under 12 $10
Ride atop a fire truck on these fun hour-long tours that include a firefighting game. Children dressed in firefighting gear hand pump water at a flip-style shooting gallery set that looks like Mrs. O’Leary’s barn.
See it ALL Chicago Tours
Hotel pickups in downtown Chicago
Using comfortable, air-conditioned, 14 passenger mini-buses, see the town in style. Among the sites, you’ll see The Loop (Downtown), Museum Campus (Great Views), Lincoln Park, Wrigley Field, The Gold Coast, The Magnificent Mile, The Sears Tower, and everything in between. Also offered is a popular combination tour that includes a Chicago River Architecture Boat Cruise. Tours depart at 10:00 am and 2:00 pm daily.
Tours R Us Chicago
2600 N. Lakeview
phone: 773 575 3176
Specialize in personalized tours that meet the special requirements and desires of the client. Those tours may include architecture, sculpture, neighborhoods, history, and special attractions.
Untouchable Tours offers a two-hour bus tour, featuring the gangsters and nostalgia of the Roaring Twenties. You’ll see Chicago’s most infamous sites: the Biograph Theater, scene of the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, Dion O’Bannion’s flower shop, Holy Name Cathedral and more. Check the website for schedule and more information, or call 773-881-1195.
Windy City Film Tours
Pick up at Northeast corner of Clark St & Ontario St
Ride with us and watch your favorite movies come to life!! Step into our “Rolling Screening Room” and Chicago’s original tour of the Silver Screen will put you in the films that have made the Windy City Famous. Follow Ferris on his day off, patrol Gotham City with the Dark Knight, visit Oprah’s studio, and more. And since you can’t watch movies without popcorn, we include that too!
Hop-on, hop-off tours in Chicago give tourists the freedom to see as many of the Chicago attractions that you want to, for as long as you want. Chicago bus trolley and L train tours provide Chicago travelers with fast and convenient transportation around Downtown Chicago, with stops at all of the most popular Chicago landmarks.
- Chicago Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley Tour: This popular Chicago bus tour travels the streets of Downtown Chicago with an informative guided tour, and allows Chicago travelers to “hop off” at their favorite destinations and re-join the tour later. One of the most affordable Chicago bus trolley and L train tours, featured Chicago attractions include Millennium Park and the Art Institute of Chicago.
For Chicago travelers hoping to squeeze in as much sightseeing as possible in one day, the Go Chicago Card not only offers free admission to a number of top Chicago attractions, but it also includes Chicago trolley tours service from Gray Line Chicago tours. For more information on this Chicago discount card, check out the benefits to purchasing the Go Chicago Card for your next trip, or look in to the current Chicago tour deals!
Chicago bus trolley and L train tours offer informative guides to the diverse and distinctive neighborhoods of Chicago. Neighborhood Chicago bus tours give visitors an inside perspective on the culture and history of Chicago’s most eclectic neighborhoods. Some of the best Chicago trolley tours of Downtown neighborhoods include:
- See It All! Tours: See it All! Chicago bus tours take place in an intimate mini-bus atmosphere and explore the streets of Chicago and the best Chicago landmarks rain or shine. These no-holds-barred Chicago bus trolley and L train tours help to explain the checkered roots of Chicago’s “gangster” past while introducing the neighborhoods of Chicago to first-time tourists in the Windy City. Learn your way around Downtown Chicago and the Near North Side when you participate in See it All! Chicago bus trolley and L Train Tours.
Many other Chicago neighborhood tours explore the best Chicago restaurants, shopping, and sites by bus and foot. For a complete list of the best Chicago walking tours, visit our comprehensive guide to tours in Chicago.
Chicago trolley tours come in all shapes, sizes, and topics. Whether you’re sightseeing, partying or both, there’s a Chicago bus tour sure to meet your criteria. Check out these cool Chicago bus tours sure to please just about any visitor in Chicago …
- Chicago City Hop On Hop Off: Another convenient Chicago trolley tour that allows tourists to hop on and off throughout the day as they please, this Chicago bus tour traverses the streets of Downtown Chicago from 9am- 5pm daily, and will save you plenty of cash on cab fare during your sightseeing tour of Chicago.
- Excursions Into the Unknown: Warning: This Chicago bus tour is NOT for the faint of heart! OK, this Chicago bus tour of the most haunted areas in Chicagoland isn’t that scary, but tour guide Dale Kaczmarek knows all the most creepy ghost sites sure to give you nightmares for days on end!
- Chicago Grand Tour: This comprehensive Chicago bus tour travels from the North Side to the South Shore and everywhere in between, and includes favorite Chicago attractions like the Magnificent Mile and Chicago Botanical Gardens.